Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Returning a Gift, Part 3

Spirituality Column #57
December 11, 2007
Current in Carmel (IN) newspaper

Returning a Gift, Part 3
By Bob Walters
Author of (click) Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary

So I’m sitting in church with that tear rolling down my cheek and I could not begin to compose a coherent explanation for it. Nor could I ignore it.

Mature Christians can tell you what that tear was … it was my heart breaking for the Lord. That’s how you become a Christian: your heart breaks, in an odd mix of shame, thanksgiving and love, recognizing why and what Christ was willing to do to save each of us from eternal death.

And it’s too real to shake off.

Wonderful Russ Blowers, this kindly, commanding, calm, cheerful Christian preacher, was up front talking about Faith, Hope and Love; not hellfire, damnation and judgment. And it got to me. It was my conversion experience.

To someone who hadn’t been to a worship service in 30-odd years, it was a very scary moment.

The hardest thing about not being a Christian, you see, is when you decide, or are called or wake up or whatever it is, to become a Christian. We have lots of church phrases for this … “following Christ,” “giving my life to the Lord,” “accepting Jesus Christ as my personal Savior,” “being saved,” “born again,” “I saw the light,” “made a decision for Christ.”

Very nice. And all gibberish to a non-believer; proof that words won’t save you. But that tear, its journey beginning in my heart … that was persuasive.

Russ, I am convinced, was a master – without really trying – of meeting people where they were in their faith. He could cut through the gibberish and encourage one’s deepest hope, and do it with sincere love that revealed Christ.

Then once you got it, once you owned it, you knew Russ was willing to share it with you, to teach you, to strengthen you. That’s why so many thousands of people over the years thought Russ was their best friend.

But I’m telling you, that tear wasn’t the greatest gift.

Walters (rlwcom@aol.com) notes that Russ never stopped pastoring his flock, which was everyone he ever met.  To read parts 1 and 2 of this series, see www.commonchristianity.blogspot.com Classic entries for 11-23-12 and 11-30-12, or buy the book, Common Christianity / Uncommon Commentary. 
 


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home